Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Al Franken, racist?

David Horowitz, in Frontpage Magazine:

Although neither Sean nor I had said anything about the legality issue this was Franken’s attack: "The fact that Osama isn't actually a foreign head of state and that Clinton issued his presidential directive to assassinate him didn't stop Hannity from writing in his book about a February 2001 episode of Hannity & Colmes on the topic. Guest racist David Horowitz is quoted as saying: ‘We can protect ourselves from terrorist threats like Osama bin Laden. It would be nice if the CIA were able to assassinate him.’”

The “guest racist” bit, of course, was entirely gratuitous, It was casually interjected as though it referred to an obvious and widely recognized fact. This is typical fairness for Franken.

As it happens I marched in my first civil rights protest in 1948 before Al Franken was born. For more than fifty years I have supported minorities and defended their civil rights in public word and deed, and raised millions of dollars to help inner city minorities whom racism has scarred. In fact there is no single cause – except America’s wars against totalitarian foes – to which I have devoted myself more consistently that than that of racial equality. Not a shred of evidence exists to the contrary. I have written more than a million words on racial and political matters -- all of them public record. There is not a single sentence, or phrase, or comment of mine that could be cited to justify Franken’s attack.

Horowitz isn’t just going to lie down and take this like a Spaniard:
My answer to Al Franken is this: I am going to post your photograph on FrontPageMag.com, which is viewed by a million visitors monthly. The photo will be identified with these words: “Al Franken,: Racist.” The photo will be prominently posted until you apologize to me publicly for this attack. When you have made an apology, I will disclose my evidence for characterizing you as a racist or withdraw the charge.
And he did post the picture. And all was well.

update: Okay, all is not well. Frankens debasing of the word racist by tossing it around like a common epithet is despicable, especially when applied to Horowitz, a civil rights defender. I thought Al Franken was mildly amusing when he came to K-State, but the "guest racist" bit, even as just a throwaway line, is devoid of any humor and insulting to the reader, not to mention Horowitz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home