Friday, January 28, 2005

Talking back to the fourum *updated*

From the Fourum:
Define irony: Grant Reichert, a white male, complaining about diversity.
That is possibly the most ironic thing I have ever read. Ever. I mean, this person writes this, thinking that they are exposing some flaw in my argument or such, when, by focusing on my race and sex over my individual identity, they are actually proving my argument more perfectly than I ever could. This person sees my not as individual, worthy of having my argument evaluated on its merits, but instead just as another white male whos opinion therefore counts for nothing in matters of "diversity."

Peter Wood summed this up in his book, "Diversity: The Invention of a Concept." He wrote:
To treat people as objects, as though they are the residuum of their race, class, gender, and other such superficialities, and not individuals who define themselve through their ideas and creative acts--that is injustice.
Injustice indeed. But, oh, the ironing is delicious, no?
update: numerous grammatical and spelling corrections made. And also, it has come to my attention that what the person was saying wasn't actually "ironic" at all. According to the logic behind the statement above, it would have been ironic if a minority had criticized diversity. Me, yunno, just another whitey mad that minorities are getting all uppity and whatnot.
Or is it ironic in that the person is saying that I am criticizing diversity, even though I have not encountered diversity, nor am I "diverse" myself. If so, they either did not read my article, or have no idea what the word diversity actually means. Neither would surprise me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Logan C. Adams said...

You expected something intelligent from the fourum?

For shame Grant, for shame.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

No, its just that after our interview, I thought we were on good terms, is all.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home