Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Humor in the actual

The political science department sent out a mass email to everyone on the listserv about the upcoming "Take Back the Night" March against violence toward females. Anyways, no social commentary here. I just found this couple of lines extremely humorous:
There will be a keynote address by Patricia Traxler, a female poet from Salina. Then a few local slam poets will get us ready to march.

I dunno, did it do anything for you? Like how they had to mention she was a female poet? Relevant how? And how many guys are named Patricia Traxler? Very few I would conjecture.

And what's a slam poet? Is the mental image of a poet getting "us ready to march" by "slamming" not humorous? I would paint the mental picture of a slam poet for you, but it's better that we each indulge our own conception, I think, in this case.

Slam poets. Heh. And not national slam poets, traversing the countryside to slam their poetry to the adulation of millions. No. These are local slam poets, the dregs of slam poetry, one would imagine, unable to take their slam to the next level. They aspire to national slammetry, it is possible, but have found employ only as march leaders for crowds of feminists. And, lets face it, it's not like its very hard to get them to march in the first place.

And the email also stipulates: "For further questions do not contact the Political Science Office" Our hands are clean of this, they say, take your drum circle queries elsewhere.

[Disclaimer: I have no idea what an actual Take Back the Night march is like. But it conjures up images of deranged feminists in throwback '60's attire, for me--and such mental dispositions are enough to find "Humor in the actual." I render no judgment as to their actual content or desirability. But, c'mon, slam poets?]

4 Comments:

Blogger Logan C. Adams said...

Slam poetry can actually be pretty good, as long as it's meant to be humorous. When it starts get into issues such as race, social class and poverty though, it gets really bland because all they ever say is how bad it is and bitch on ad nauseum. Sadly, slam poets who stick to race, social class and poverty tend to win a lot because judges don't want to feel like they're putting someone down.

As for "Take back the night," they can do whatever they want. I try not to notice them.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Puh. That's exactly what I'd expect a white, hetero, male to say.

DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous mkatherine29 said...

so, I actually went to this last year, not fully knowing what it was I was attending. Sad, I know, but a friend invited me, and I was like "sure, I'm anti-rape." Wow, it was ... lots of dogs, smoking, unshaven legs and angry chants. I don't really know if I should've been shouting "this is what a feminist looks like." I believe another was actually "no more patriarchy, no more shit." Anyway, now you know.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

"sure, I'm anti-rape."

Bigot.

But thanks for your thoughts. I feel slightly less guilty about mocking something I have no actual experience with.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home